- How Do You Clean an Old Metal Meat Grinder?
- How Do You Get Rust off a Meat Grinder?
- How Do You Get Rust Out of a Cast Iron Meat Grinder?
- How Do You Clean an Aluminum Meat Grinder?
- How to Clean a Meat Grinder
Anything that we use for food, especially raw ones, needs to be checked and cleaned at all times before you try using it again.
Dirty tools and kitchen appliances may be breeding grounds for bacteria and other microorganisms that can get you sick.
Today we will talk about how to clean a meat grinder. This piece of equipment is always in contact with raw meat, which may cause contamination.
How Do You Clean an Old Metal Meat Grinder?
It’s easy to clean your brand new meat grinder. What about old units? How do you clean an old metal meat grinder?
You may have an old meat grinder that you want to restore and use again. You tried soaking it in warm soapy water, and it does not work.
Here’s how to clean meat grinders properly:
First, you have to disassemble the old grinder carefully and put each part into a bowl.
Make a solution of warm soapy water and white vinegar. Soak the old meat grinder in the mixture for at least 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes have passed, take the grinder apart one at a time and gently brush to remove the accumulated dirt.
You can repeat the second and third steps if you think there is still some dirt left on the meat grinder.
Rinse and Dry
Thoroughly check the meat grinder for any remaining stains or dirt.
If everything looks clean, you can now rinse off the solution with clean water.
Wipe the grinder and all its components with a dry and clean cloth to remove excess water and let it air dry.
If you intend to use it right away, you can start by assembling the old meat grinder to see if it’s still functional.
On the other hand, if you don’t have plans on using it yet, make sure that you store it properly.
Some homemakers put the grinder’s parts in a bowl filled with rice to help absorb moisture.
How Do You Get Rust off a Meat Grinder?
Using your meat grinder for a long time may cause it to rust. Below is the best way to clean a grinder with rust.
- Dissolve the KoolAid powder in the water and mix thoroughly.
- Put the grinder’s iron parts and leave them soaked for several hours until the rust comes off from the pieces.
- Get hold of a brush and scrub the rusty part completely. You can also grind fatty red meat into the grinder to remove the rust.
- To prevent the rust from coming back, lightly apply some vegetable oil to the grinder’s iron parts after every use.
- Leave the oil on the elements but remember to wipe it off before you start using it again.
How Do You Get Rust Out of a Cast Iron Meat Grinder?
Cast iron belongs to the ferrous alloy group and is a malleable metal.
If it’s not properly cared for, oxygen will cause it to rust causing the metal to degrade and break apart.
The cast iron meat grinder may look solid and intact from the outside, but the internal elements are rusted.
Proper cleaning and maintenance can prevent rust from forming. If you see the beginning of a rust formation, apply some elbow grease to remove it.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to clean meat grinders made of cast iron material.
- Disassemble the grinder completely. Check for nuts and screws that you need to remove to take them apart.
- Fill the sink with hot, soapy water and soak all the grinder’s parts: only use dish soap or a similar mild variety.
- Leave the elements soaked for at least 30 minutes to soften and remove surface rust.
- After 30 minutes, take all the parts out of the water and wipe them dry with a clean towel. You will notice some of the rust gets transferred to the cloth.
- Use a wire brush to scrub away the surface of the cast iron grinder. The wire attachment of a drill will also work well with this task.
- Set it on low speed to prevent damages and scratches to the cast iron meat grinder’s surface.
- Use the wire to remove any remaining rust on each part.
- Using a steel wool pad or wire mesh, clean each part under running water.
- Poke the grinding plate’s holes with a pipe cleaner or stirrer to break up the rust and dirt.
- Wash all the parts in soapy water and wipe them dry with a clean, dry cloth.
- Spray a thin coat of oil on each part before you start to reassemble the grinder.
How Do You Clean an Aluminum Meat Grinder?
Cleaning a meat grinder has different approaches. Here’s what you need to do with an aluminum meat grinder.
Use Cream of Tartar
- Mix two tablespoons of cream of tartar into four cups of water.
- Put all the grinder parts in the mixture and boil for at least ten minutes.
- After ten minutes, transfer the parts in cold water and gently brush with a wire sponge until they shine.
Soak in White Vinegar
You can also soak the grinder components in white vinegar for one to two days and gently brush it the following day.
You can also add some cream of tartar to the vinegar for better results.
Brush With Baking Soda Solution
If you want to restore the shine on your aluminum meat grinder, make a paste from water and baking soda.
Brush the paste on the darkened surface with a toothbrush until it shines; rinse it with water and wipe it to dry.
How to Clean a Meat Grinder
Meat grinders are excellent tools to have in any kitchen, so make it a habit to clean the machine right after using it.
Cleaning a meat grinder can be challenging and tedious if you don’t know how to do it properly. Today, we have learned how to clean a meat grinder in different ways.
Thus, the best way to clean a grinder is to determine the type of material of your grinder and clean it accordingly.
Don’t forget to wipe it dry before storing it to prevent the start of rusting.